Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Je n'ai rien à déclarer à part que je suis génial." Oscar Wilde

Which, loosely translated means, "I have nothing to say except that I'm brilliant!"  You'll have to excuse me, but I'm very pleased with myself for accomplishing so much.  (In fact, I'm celebrating my super coolness - how else - over a glass of wine in a cafe.)  I finished my taxes, I started a blog, I created a website for my photos, plus I outlined a to do list for the week ahead. Now if only I could just find a job...

I've had a fabulous stay in Paris so far, with 2 sets of visitors - Vivian (who some of you Schwabbies will know) and her husband Mark were here for Mark to run the Paris Marathon! It was his first one, and he finished in under 4 hours... quite an accomplishment! Viv & Mark, if you're reading this, I miss you already!

I also had a visit from a good friend who I've known since high school, Almaz, and her husband Wim.  We did a lot of walking around Paris together, and they gave me lots of great suggestions on my job search, French language study, and getting acclimated to Paris life.  We took lots of pictures too... check out the site.  Almaz & Wim - still enjoying those Belgian chocolates!

But now that my friends have gone, I'm left with the reality that I don't have many friends here (yet).  Paris, like any big city, is full of busy people with lots of better things to do than listen to my pathetic French.  So I have decided to start classes at Alliance Française next week - primarily in the hopes of meeting people.  And I'm going to a Paris reception for Cal alumns the following week - GO BEARS!  Pretty sad that I'm excited about that...

In the meantime, I've decided to look on my time of solitude as an anthropological experiment. I'm alone, by choice, to study Parisians in their natural habitat.  I must make close observations of their nocturnal habits, where they forage for food, and of course their mating rituals.  It's a good opportunity to learn to become a chameleon so I can safely blend in.  Perhaps, one day, I too will tie a scarf like a French woman or pronounce the name of my street correctly.

Until that time, I'm having lunch tomorrow with a lovely French woman in Montmartre, and I'm going to see the Martha Graham Dance Company on Sat. How's that for a little culture? 

But please don't confuse my ramblings for melancholy or regret.  Nothing can replace the euphoria of sending that email: "I resign, effective immediately."  And it may not be easy but... I'm still in Paris!  To conclude, here's another quote from Oscar Wilde:

"J'aime mieux avoir des remords que des regrets."  I'll let you figure that one out. :-)

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. You got friends who will be following your every movement... maybe just from a little bit of a distance. ;)
    Please have a croissant for me. I miss those in Paris. They are like no others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pay very close attention to how they consume foodstuff such as crepes with tomatoes and onions from street vendors with names such as "Marcel." Be wary also of sailboats in small ponds and of treading on grass upon which one should not tread. Stay aware of canine refuse which smears in rain and les hommes who care not of public pissing. These things, you should document carefully on said blog, observe with caution, and publish much later in life when such mysteries have been deconstructed carefully by the pale of historical retrospective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne: You are so awesome. I have always admired your courage and willingness to venture off to strange lands by yourself. You always seem so comfortable with yourself. I've always loved that about you. This is the first blog that I've ever read. I just don't give enough of a crap about anyone else. I'm looking forward to keep up with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne,
    Congratulations on your move! I'm totally a francophone and totally jealous. Don't know much about how/why you got to Paris but it seems as if you were in need of change. What better place then gay Paris! Enjoy yourself, and have a crepe, croissant and baguette for me! (And that's just breakfast) a bientot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your anthropological research! I'm considering approaching my new startup in much the same way....primary research to understand the needs of our target population....
    "La Vie, c'est vraiment academique"
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had so much fun on our visit. It's hard to believe that was in this month as it seems so long ago already!

    I'm looking forward to reading your future blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete