Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

I realized the other day that I haven't written a thing about the fabulous people I've had the pleasure to meet here... thanks entirely to YOU, my friends.  All of the people listed below were total strangers to me but because YOU introduced me to them, they have gone out of their way to welcome me to this strange and seductive city.  
  • Ruthanne introduced me to Mike & Stephanie, who I met my very first Friday night in Paris.  We had yummy Moroccan food and then drinks at a very crowded club next door.  
  • Roberto "Mongolia Bobby" introduced me to Michael, who likes all kinds of music like me, from hip hop to Lionel Ritchie.  Michael introduced me to a friend of his Alissa, and the 3 of us all hung out together over drinks at a jazz club in Montmartre.
  • Romain - who I only met recently through Bobby - introduced me to Pia, a beautiful French woman who offered to help me with my CV in French!
  • The lovely Charlene introduced me to Tracey, who is a lot of fun and speaks beautiful French. She's also my first African American friend in Paris - it was so wonderful to get her perspective!
  • Catherine "CP" Parkinger introduced me to her cousin Sarah, who just left today on the overnight train to Rome.  But we had a blast getting to know each over many drinks on Friday night! (No shots though, CP - sorry!)
  • Ruthanne also recommended that I take Business French at Alliance Francaise, which has been a welcome challenge, and allowed me to make some friends of my own through my classmates.
  • And I'm still going down the list of friends of friends or family of friends, which actually makes me feel like I have some semblance of a social life after only 3 weeks here!
So thanks so much to all of you.  Otherwise I might be talking to the walls right now, and you might be concerned about my sanity (if you weren't already concerned enough before).

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeannie! What an adventure - I admire your guts. I gotta say, I still have those up and down days here in Shanghai, even though it's going on 3 years for me already. And I completely have the same problem with languages when I'm in a Korean restaurant, and the wait staff is looking at me like I'm an alien - how come you can't speak either Korean or Chinese? Really enjoy reading your blog,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie - Great to hear from you! Wow - 3 years - didn't realize it had been so long. So you totally have been there and done that when it comes to culture shock, multiple languages, and getting acclimated to a new country. Glad you're enjoying the blog; let's keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete